Serving our Homeless Neighbors Since 1990 — Celebrating 27 Years in Dupont Circle!
Charlie’s Place was founded by former St. Margaret’s associate pastor, and Mongomery County Executive, the late Charles Gilchrist. Our mission is one of empowerment, community, health, and independence among homeless men and women. For twenty-five years, Charlie’s Place has worked to achieve that mission through education, encouragement and helping people help themselves. We strive to promote justice, inclusiveness and the health of all people.
Originally established as a meal program, Charlie’s Place now provides its clients with employment placement services, housing placement services, nursing services, HIV/AIDS testing and counseling, clothing, toiletry and mail distribution, and a variety of other services designed to encourage health, independence and community.
With support from our generous partners and individual contributors, Charlie’s Place provided the following services to our clients in 2016:
- Weekday meals served – 12,459 (60-70 clients on average)
- Saturday meals served – 3,952 (90-100 clients on average)
- Bagged lunches distributed – 5,300
- Volunteers – 1192 / over 11,000 hours of service
- Haircuts – 456
- Clothing Closet distributions – 1,005
- Clients seen by the Licensed Clinical Nurse Practitioner – 257
Case Management Statistics for 2016
- Number of New Case Management Clients – 18
- Tokens distributed for trips to job interviews and medical appointments – 1,096
- Clients who found employment – 20
- Clients who found housing – 12
- Housed but Hungry visits – 133
- Referrals for rehab and other supports – 222